Wednesday 11 November 2009

Peter Broderick - In Session 08.06.2009 + New Songs













Peter Broderick - In Session 08.06.2009 + New Songs

Absolutely stunning 30 minutes of music from the great Peter Broderick. Many of the songs here are different versions and also included are two new songs. Wonderful, reminiscent of one of his latest albums Home (reissue) 2cd edition (which is also really beautiful)
Ps: Peter has a new CD coming out on Slaapwell records which Matt tells me is absolutely beautiful (its not officially announced yet but it should be sometime in December) + here is a link for his new CD with Machinfabriek

Set List:

01 Everything i know (new song)
02 Piano solo (previously unreleased - now on 'Home Re-issue)
03 Ceasefire
04 Below it
05 Games Again (piano version)
06 Yellow bus
07 I am piano (new song)
08 Its alright (solo version)



download ~ NEW 320 mp3 + Flac HERE
Peterbroderick myspace
buy

You can find Peter's Tour Ep & an 'Oddities Podcast' HERE (explanation from the podcast below)

1. (0:00-1:54) Atlantic (early version) -- This is an early version of a melody I ended up using for a short film called Atlantic by an Irish filmmaker named Conor Ferguson. The final version is much slower, and more a-tempo. This version is much more square and concise.

2. (1:54-4:10) Let Go/Hold On -- This is a little folk song I recorded sometime in the beginning of 2007. I think it was right around the time I finished my album Float. It was not a song I had ever planned to release. More just something I recorded for myself...

3. (4:10-7:18) Untitled for Piano #1 -- I think this was the first piano piece I wrote after moving to Copenhagen last Autumn. I played it once live, at my first European concert, which was Le Havre, France, and haven't played it much since... This recording of the song was made when I went back to the states at Christmas time. I met up with an old friend and we went to a nearby church and took turns recording piano songs on the wonderful grand piano in there.

4. (7:18-8:04) Untitled Advert Sketch -- Sometime last Spring I was in competition to have a piece of music in an advertisement for a car company (who's name I'll leave undisclosed), and I came up with this short piece. After hearing it they came back and told me it was too somber, and that they were looking for something more "masculine and bold", haha! Anyhow, I kind of like this little piano melody, so I'll probably end up re-using it for a longer piece in the future.

5. (8:04-11:34) To Rid the Stomach of Any Pains -- I wrote this song for a very special friend. Her stomach really bothers her from time to time, and so one day when it was particularly bad, I recorded this song and emailed it to her. There's kind of a bad mistake towards the end, but for some reason I just decided to leave it in there.

6. (11:46-15:08) Untitled Trio for Piano, Viola, and Melodica -- This song has been floating around in my mind for a while, and it's one that I often play when I sit down at the piano. But I'm not sure if it will ever fit in on an album... I recorded this version in December 2007 at my old violin teacher's house. She and her family were out of town so they let me use their house to record some things. They have a nice baby grand piano, and the viola and melodica are from there as well.

7. (15:08-21:21) Sketch for Ralph Etter -- While I was staying with my mother around Christmas time last year, I recorded a few things on her little out-of-tune spinet piano. This one is a sketch for a filmmaker living in Berlin. He's made some incredible short films, and I'll hopefully be working with him on his first feature film soon.

8. (21:21-23:10) Untitled for Piano and Violins -- Another song I recorded on my mother's piano last December. This is just a short little idea I had, written for nothing in particular...

9. (23:10-25:32) Sketch for Ger Leonard -- The third and last thing recorded on my mother's piano. This one was for a filmmaker from Dublin. He sent me an absolutely beautiful script for his first feature film, and I wrote this little sketch based off the script. I highly doubt this will end up in the film, but you have to start somewhere, right?

10. (25:32-27:36) Untitled for Piano #2 -- This is just another little idea that's been floating around in my head for a while that will probably never be used for anything. Recorded in the same session as the Untitled Trio at my old violin teacher's house.

11. (27:49-31:00) Another Glacier (alternate version) -- An alternate version to a song off my album Float. At one point I was trying to see if I could play all the songs on the album on the guitar (rather than the piano). I managed to figure out most of them, but this is the only one I actually recorded.

Peter Broderick is a musician/composer currently residing in Copenhagen, Denmark, where he plays violin in the Efterklang live band. He has recorded and/or toured with several groups/musicians (Horse Feathers, M. Ward, She & Him, Norfolk & Western, Laura Gibson, etc.), and is a regular session musician at various recording studios. His solo work is quite varied, but is often grounded by piano and/or strings.

Comment from Peter:

"Hello. This is a collection of unreleased material from the last year - some sketches for films, some pieces that never really got finished, etc. It's possible that one or two of these will be redone for future releases, but most of them are just sketches and ideas that don't quite fit in anywhere. I hope you will enjoy them!."

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was listening to this only today on VPRO. Thanks so much for posting it! Have you heard the other one, the duet with Machinefabriek? That's incredible, too.

Victoryrosemusic admin said...

Coming to blog near you, REAL soon :^)

Anonymous said...

128kbs, highest possible quality MP3?
anyway thanx a lot !!!
beautiful music, this man is a genius

Victoryrosemusic admin said...

Sadly, yes all the following sessions are a low bitrate :(

RobinPlaysChords said...

Thanks Jon for sharing this; this is fantastic; Peter is a musical genius, and a lovely person too, from personal experience. The song titled 'Piano Solo' is now on the 'Home' re-issue, under the title 'For Bella Union' (on iTunes at least).

Victoryrosemusic admin said...

Thanks 'Robin...' - edited post. I agree about this music. I can only hope in a small way these posts will help spread this beautiful music a little further

Anonymous said...

I'd just like to ad my hope that these posts will spread Peter's music further. He is one of those people who makes a lot his work freely available - if you'll excuse the plug you can find links to as much of it as I know about on the discography site I run at http://peterbroderickdiscography.blogspot.com/

Guy said...

Is it Nils Frahm (http://www.myspace.com/nilsfrahm) who plays piano on some of the songs? Peter and Nils toured together in Germany this year. Anyway - thx for sharing it, Jon!

Anonymous said...

Is It's Alright supposed to cut off mid song?

Thank you for these wonderful uploads, by the way. I've discovered some amazing artists through your site--Peter Broderick being the newest one.

Anonymous said...

HAHA. I feel so stupid. I just listened to his explanation BEFORE the song. Sorry.

But seriously, thank you. This blog is amazing.

Victoryrosemusic admin said...

^ Thanks sleeves so much for the link (contains all my favourites!)
& ^ yes Guy it is THE Nils Frahm. Its such a wonderful community of muscisians. Seems everyone knows and is playing with each other at the moment

Anonymous said...

thanks!!!

Peter is a great music.

greetins